FUNCTIONAL HOMES. FULL-TIME SUPPORT.
The Garden Park Apartments opened in December of 2004 and was the first permanent supportive housing program specifically for homeless families with special needs in Contra Costa County. Garden Park Apartments is located in Pleasant Hill, close to schools, shopping, restaurants, and local entertainment. The complex has twenty-two one-bedroom and six two-bedroom apartments, a swimming pool, a garden, and a community center. Each apartment comes with basic household furnishings and supplies so that families can move into a truly functional home.
Garden Park residents have access to many on-site and free services that assist them with their individual needs. These include:
- Full time licensed mental health providers for case managment, crisis intervention, family counseling and support, and assistance with completing individualized family self-reliance plans.
- 4 day per week homework club and pre-school programs focused on measurable academic outcomes, emotional health, and social development for youth.
- Summer youth enrichment programs.
- Educational programs that support employment, healthy lifestyles, and successful parenting and family life.
- Activities and social events aimed at creating a healthy and vibrant community.
CCIH's program reduces the number of nights that individuals spend in shelters or the street by 25,000 nights per year. Since 2004, over 90% of the tenants we have served have remained permanently housed – either at GPA or in another stable setting. It is estimated that Garden Park Apartments saves 1.5 to 2 million dollars in high-cost emergency and crisis services that are typically used by people who are homeless.